Defending the hive...
When inspecting a frame last week I came across the girls taking out an unwanted guest! I took a video of it, but fat fingers on the phone led to a video fail, though I did get this photo! Sometimes it gets repetitive inspecting frame after frame and it is interesting to see something different (even if not that unusual).
2nd Story Exterior Cutout
This was an interesting cutout I completed on a three-story building, so I completed the work in a cherry picker. Not wanting to go up and down, I had a lot of equipment with me - the bee vacuum, plenty of hive bodies, frames for placing comb, buckets for discarded comb, etc. I had quite an audience for a while of construction workers and people walking by. The contractor I did the work for had contemplated doing the cutout himself and after seeing the work done he said "No way, no how, no sir!" - he is not a beekeeper... The hive was (is) beautiful, with tons of brood, honey, and pollen. No evidence of small hive beetles. The space had bees removed in previous years by others, but I think they left a lot of old comb. The wood showed evidence of a pretty decent wax moth infestation. The colony was relocated and doing great, with a very productive queen.